Applications for Non-UIUC Students

For students from American Consortium Universities: University of Arizona,University of Hawaii, University of Pittsburgh

This program has a two-step application process: 1) Application at your home institution, 2) Host University application.


Step 1 (Application at your home institution): Please note that the deadline to apply may vary by institution. 

  1. Contact your study abroad advisors (contacts are listed below)
  2. Send Student Information Form to your study abroad advisor via email.
  3. Send two letters of recommendation to your study abroad advisor.  

    Note: Students who have taken Japanese language classes need 2 recommendation letters, one from your faculty or your academic advisor or TA, and one from your Japanese language teacher. Send the appropriate form to your recommenders as an email attachmentYour letter of recommendation must be in a sealed envelope with the recommendation writer’s signature across the seal, and must be sent to your study abroad advisor by the deadline. 
    Japanese Language Proficiency Evaluation (To be completed by a Japanese Language Instructor)
    Recommendation ( To be completed by an academic faculty member)
    Note: Students who haven't taken any Japanese language classes need one letter from a faculty member, or academic advisor

Step 2 (Host University application):

Konan Application Procedure Guidelines AY2021-2022

  1. Konan Online questionnaires (you will be directed to their system via email)
  2. Konan University Participant Agreement 
  3. Health report
  4. Course Approval Form
  5. Scholarship through Konan
    Note: Read first the instruction "How to Calculate the JASSO GPA"
  6. Official transcripts (including all colleges/universities you attended)
  7. Copy of your passport (if any)

Please note that all the application materials below are for AY 2021-2022 (Academic Year/Semester Only). 


All students are strongly encouraged to consult their academic adviser to find out how the program fits into their degree program.

Study Abroad Advisors

Students at the University of Arizonasend your materials to:
Study Abroad and Student Exchange: Dr. Takashi Miura (,
888N. Euclid Ave., Room 301, Tucson, AZ 85721
(520) 626-6468

Students at the University of Hawaii, send your material to:
Study Abroad Center: Mr. Max Lee (
Moore Hall 115 ,1890 East-West Road, Honolulu, HI 96822
(808) 956-5143

Students at the University of Pittsburgh, send your materials to:
Study Abroad Office:  Ms. Leslie Smedley (
802 William Pitt Union, 3959 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15260
(412) 648-7413