1. Japanese Placement Test at UIUC
Students with background/experience of learning Japanese are required to take a placement test offered at the beginning of each semester. The Japanese Placement Test is offered (usually on campus) at the beginning of every fall and spring semester to both new students and continuing students. It is actually not a proficiency test. You take this test in order to learn which Japanese course you should enroll in to continue your studies of the language. However, if you demonstrate such strong skills that you "place out" of our Japanese courses, that means you have fulfilled the General Education language requirement. No academic credit is awarded.
Spring 2024 placement test: Wednesday, January 10 10:00-11:30 a.m. US Central Time
- Writing (30 minutes)
- Listening (40 minutes)
- Will use Zoom with video - You will receive a Zoom link one week prior to the test
Speaking test: Thursday, January 11 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Speaking (10 minutes)
- Will use Zoom with video - You will receive an email with instructions for signing up for your speaking test after you have completed the Writing/Listening test.
2. Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)
The Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) Official Website
3. Other Japanese Proficiency Tests
ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI)